The idea is really interesting and appealing. I hope that in the future we can see also Visual Studio (C#) and Eclipse (Java, C++, PHP) in the Cloud.
If you want to try some of them go to:
- Cloud9IDE: http://cloud9ide.com/
- Orion HUB: http://orionhub.org
and let me know your comments!
We also released the eXo Cloud IDE in private beta at the beginning of last week. Check it out at cloud-ide.com and let us know what you think. Our objective is slightly different as we want to focus more on server side development with Java/Groovy support and an object persistence layer (JCR) bundled with the IDE.
really nice to know about eXO, I’ll check it just right now!
Have you tried Koding (https://koding.com)? It has a tone of features like
– Free virtual machine (VM) with Ubuntu, root access, apt-get, and many commonly used tools
– Built-in Terminal with 256-color support
– All languages, databases, and command-line tools are supported
– Various file upload options such as Drag & Drop, Dropbox, Clone from Github, FTP and the ability to access them using SSH
Defenetly worth checking out.